John Wesley journeyed to Georgia on a number of occasions. It was on one of these trips that the founder of the Methodist Church was born again, during a storm at sea.
John Wesley Courtesy
United Methodist Church
The highest point in the state is Brasstown Bald at 4,784 feet, and is part of a longer geophysical formation known as Wolfpen Ridge. Second highest is Rabun Bald at 4,696 feet. Trey Mountain and Blood Mountain are other high peaks.
Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium was the highest altitude stadium in the major leagues until the Colorado Rockies were added in an expansion slot.
Claytonville, now known as Clayton, in Rabun County, was an important acquisition for the state in 1817. It was on a major illegal slave trade route.
William Bartram, who was one of the earliest explorers of the North Georgia Mountains, referred to the Southern Appalachians as the Cherokee Mountains because the tribe was so plentiful. He was one of the first white men to see an Indian mound.
A Cherokee Trading Path became the Georgia Highway in 1803. In 1817 it became known as The Federal Highway after Andy Jackson and his men improved the road in the northwest part of the state. The Cherokee Trading Path appears in writing as early as 1731. Carter's Quarters, near present-day Carters, was a major intersection. A second road from Virginia intersected here.
Ellijay, in Gilmer County, is one of the longest continually inhabited cities in the state. It appears in records dating to 1755 and is mentioned in writing as early as 1735.
Cherokee Chief James Vann was murdered in 1809. There are at least five different stories about his murder. The Cherokee did not have an official written language until 1821. Vann's body has never been found.
Georgia's Dade County, in the northwest corner of the state, did not have a means of travel directly to the other parts of the state until 1939. To get to any other place in Georgia, residents of Dade had to go through Tennessee or Alabama to get there.
The bloodiest two days of American History occurred in northwest Georgia, near a creek the Cherokee called Chickamauga. The translation of the word means "river of death" or "river of blood."
The Battle of Chickamauga (Sept 19-20, 1863) is one of the few known by the same name by both the North and the South. The North named battles after nearby physical features, the South after nearby towns. Near the site of the battle is the town of Chickamauga and Chickamauga Creek.
An itinerant stonecutter traveling through the North Georgia hills in 1835 noticed an outcropping of particularly fine marble. The small quarry he founded near the present site of Jasper was the first exploitation of a vein estimated to be large enough to supply the world's building needs for 3,000 years.
The state of Georgia has two rivers named Chattooga. One forms part of the eastern border with South Carolina. The second runs southwest from Summerville, Georgia, to Weiss Lake in Alabama.
People pay a lot for famous signatures. Among the famous men who signed the Declaration of Independence are Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock, and Ben Franklin, but it is Georgia's own Button Gwinnett who nets the highest price for a signature, mostly because only 8 are known to exist.
Dalton's carpet business began as a cottage industry. Women along U. S. 41 would sew bedspreads from a fabric known as chenille and drape them on clotheslines so passing tourists would see and hopefully buy them. The practice was so prevalent that the road became known as Chenille Alley, or Peacock Alley because of the many brilliant colors.
Bartow County was the center of a religious revival that blossomed after the Civil War. Preachers from the city of Kingston, Georgia became world renown, due in part to the major rail line that ran near their churches. Later, Cartersville's Sam Jones attracted an international audience to the tiny town.
Berry College in Rome, Georgia is the largest college in land size in the world.
Rome has three rivers, five proposed names and seven hills. The rivers are:Oostanaula, Etowah and Coosa, the proposed names were: Warsaw, Pittsburgh, Hillsboro, Hamburg and Rome, and the seven hills are: Myrtle, Jackson, Shorter, Clocktower, Aventine, Lumpkin, and Blossom.
According to the United States Corp of Engineers, Cherokee County has the most undisturbed American Indian sites in the state of Georgia.
Before the Civil War it was illegal to teach a slave to read. Vice-president of the Confederate States of America, Georgian Alexander Stephens, did just that. Thomas Jackson would lead Sunday School for blacks. He later became better known by his nickname Stonewall.
Georgia's first state park was Indian Springs. North Georgia's Vogel State Park was second.
Rock City, on the Georgia side of Lookout Mountain, had more than 900 barns painted from 1935 to 1965 with the famous "See Rock City" slogan. Stretching from Florida to the Canadian border and west to Texas, the signs gave many farmers the additional money to make through the toughest times of The Great Depression. In 1965 the program came to an end with the Highway Beautification Act, which specified that the barn roofs had to be painted out. Only 85 of these still remain, many designated as historic landmarks.
The city of Kennesaw, Georgia, was called Big Shanty from 1838 until the 1880's. Before the Cherokee Removal in 1838 it was known as -- Kennesaw!
When Stephen Long decided where the Western and Atlantic Railroad was going to end, near Spring Street in the heart of Atlanta, only one man lived in the area. His name was Hardy Ivy. Long never felt the town would amount to more than a rail terminal and a few stores.
Gladys Knight almost recorded "Midnight Plane to Houston," but she changed the lyrics at the last minute to "Midnight Train to Georgia" because she was from the Peach State.
The city of Ringgold was once the place to get married quickly in Georgia, but that had nothing to do with its name. It is named for Samuel Ringgold.
The Georgia Developmental Highway, I-575 and SR 515, follows a fault line that many geologists believe is more active that the San Andreas Fault in California. The plate movement in Georgia does not normally produce earthquakes.
At one point, Canton, Georgia, was the mule capitol of the state.
Winder, in Barrow County was known as the "Auto center of Northeast Georgia." There were 34 registered automobiles there in 1908.
The University of Georgia at Athens, chartered in 1784, was the first state-funded institution in the Western Hemisphere. It took 16 years to get off the ground.
The Walesi-yi Center on Neel's (formerly Frogtown) Gap is the only building directly on the Appalachian Trail. The familiar white blase adorns both the entrance and exit to the breezeway on the side of the building. Many hikers leave personal belongings in the hall, realizing they are overpacked for the journey.
The tallest falls east of the Mississippi is Amicalola, Cherokee for "tumbling water."
New Echota was the capitol of the Cherokee Nation from the 1820's to 1838. Echota is the Cherokee word for town.
Before he wrote this piece the author watched two hours of "Pop-Up Videos".
Golden Ink Internet Solutions
Georgia's innovative design group