About North Georgia
60 Hikes within 60 Miles Atlanta
More from About North Georgia on Facebook (no account required)






Search
Adventure
Attractions
Biographies
Books
Businesses
Cherokee
Christmas
Civil War
Counties
Creek
Events
Facts
Features
Food
Giving Back
Helen
History
Indians
Letters
Lodging
Moundbuilders
Mountains
Naturally
Notes
Parks
Past Issues
Photography
Poetry
Railroads
Revolution
Rivers
Roads
Stops
Tenn
Travel
Voices
Weather
Website

Old Stone Church
About North Georgia

The area south of Ringgold Gap in Catoosa County was known simply as Catoosa or Cherokee Springs. In 1849 the Western and Atlantic Railroad established a "flag station" known as Catoosa Platform or Catoosa Station to serve this area. This consisted of a small wooden platform with no depot. When folks south of Ringgold wanted a train to stop they would attach a red flag to signal the engineer.

In 1837 settlers organized the Chickamauga Presbyterian Church on this site, eventually building a small log cabin in which to worship. On 1849 the congregation decided to build a new church. Using rock from nearby Taylor Ridge and Stubblefield Farm, the new building was completed in 1850.

During the Battle of Ringgold Gap Joseph Hooker, United States fought Patrick Cleburne north of the church and Cleburne used the church as a hospital. After Cleburne withdrew Union officers used the church as a stable.

In 1912 the Chickamauga Presbyterian Church was formed and they requested the Ringgold Church give up the name. The church served briefly as a Methodist Church after the Presbyterians moved into Ringgold in 1920. After that the church sat empty until the Catoosa County Historical Association took control of the building in the 1950's.

When building I-75 through Ringgold Gap, engineers found remnants of an old Cherokee village. Archeologists were called in to catalog the site and the remains of the village were moved to storage. Some of these remains are on display in the church, which also has the original lectern and pews.


Stops of interest
Stops of interest by the side of the road.

Article Links
Joseph Hooker
Patrick Cleburne
Western and Atlantic Railroad

About North Georgia
About North Georgia Index
Tools
Add link from your web site to Old Stone Church

 

Georgia Imix icon

| More
All of the photographs, graphics and text on About North Georgia (http://www.aboutnorthgeorgia.com) are © Copyright 1994-2017 by Golden Ink unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved. For more information please see our Copyright policy


[About North Georgia] [History] [Travel] [Adventure]
[American Indians] [Biography] [Parks ] [Attractions ] [Naturally] [Weather] [Railroads] [Rivers]
[Mountains] [Roads] [Feature Articles] [Previous Issues] [Facts] [Food]
[Giving Back] [Voices from the Past] [Poetry Corner] [Photography]
[Lodging] [About Us] [Bookstore ] [Events ] [Events by month ] [Letters ] [Help ] [Kudos ] [Randy's Corner]
Other Places: Today in Georgia History : Today in The Civil War : Georgia Attractions : Georgia Hiking : Chattanooga



Golden Ink Internet Solutions
Georgia's innovative design group

Legal Notice
Copyright Policy
Privacy Policy